Monday, July 9, 2012

Native Food 1: Banana Lumpia (Banana Turon)

I'm on this phase lately where I want to experiment more with cooking and baking. I've been interested in ethnic cooking lately. I've decided to do a series on my attemps and experiements. So as not to bite off more than I can chew (no pun intended), I'm going to start with something simple.



This recipe is a national favorite in the Philippines. It is the equivalence to Filipino events and fiestas as funnel cake is to American state fairs and festivals.



Ingredients:

Ripe plantains

Brown sugar

Egg roll wrapper

Canola Oil

One egg


DSC_0001





Step 1: Cut ripe plaintains in rectangle pieces such as the above. Tip: One plaintain
should yield six thin pieces.





DSC_0004



Step 2: Mix brown sugar and banana.





DSC_0007





Step 3: Wrap the banana. Beat the eggs in a bowl and use eggs to seal when wrapping. This is the most difficult step and for those that are not experienced with egg roll wrapping, click here to watch a tutorial.




DSC_0008





Step 4: Fry until light golden brown on medium to medium high heat.




Step 5: Share with family and friends! Don't keep all that fried stuff to yourself!









1 comment:

  1. Just wish to say your article is as astonishing. The clearness to your publish
    is just cool and that i can suppose you're a professional in this subject.

    Well with your permission allow me to clutch your RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoming post.
    Thanks one million and please continue the enjoyable work.



    Feel free to surf to my homepage; DragonVale Hacks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feel good comment!
* If you are a new follower, let me know so I can check out your blog too.